Re: Reg iptables Connection tracking

On Friday 10 January 2003 12:37 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, Only 2 machines are attached in the inhome network and the
> fireall I am using is written using iptables rule. Well, the
> interesting point is :- There is no
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max file . What I mean is the max
> length it takes from this file and this file doesn't exist as I am not
> using /proc file system. (This mean that in the kernel CONFIG_SYSCTL
> option is not set).
>
> Well I am able to see upto this point. I went through the code flow
> also. But I don't know why it prints the message(Even if increasing
> the value from 1016 to 4096 by hardcoding it in the kernel). Another
> issue is I don't know how it is taking 1016. As There is no /proc file
> system, and by default it shoud take 0.

Hmmm. I suspect it is taking a 1024 default then, the actual number of
entries usually seems to be (2^n)-8.  The following probably explains
/where/ the value is coming from:

int __init ip_conntrack_init(void)
{
	unsigned int i;
	int ret;

	/* Idea from tcp.c: use 1/16384 of memory.  On i386: 32MB
	 * machine has 256 buckets.  >= 1GB machines have 8192 buckets.
*/
 	if (hashsize) {
 		ip_conntrack_htable_size = hashsize;
 	} else {
		ip_conntrack_htable_size
			= (((num_physpages << PAGE_SHIFT) / 16384)
			   / sizeof(struct list_head));

Not that this helps much.  The real problem is WHAT is the conntrack
table filling with.  And I suspect it may be nothing, that you have a
problem because it is trying to use /proc/net/conntrack and there IS no
/proc/net/conntrack.  The message may be triggering incorrectly,
presuming that since it cannot write another entry to
/proc/net/conntrack that the table is full.

The fact that you only have two machines pretty much eliminates traffic
as a source of legitimately filling it... :^)

I'm out of ideas for the moment, other than the above, that it will need

/proc in order to work.  If I think of something else I'll email you
again.  Sorry.

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.