Re: problem configuring for NFS between RH8 and RH6

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:48:31AM -0800, Randall J. Parr wrote:
> But then the log messages indicated RH8 -> RH6 port 887 was being
> dropped. Note that the dynamic port (in this example 887) changes every
> time I restarted RH6 NFS.

   Assuming this is the user-space NFS daemon, not the in-kernel one you
should be able to make use of the following option for the mountd:

       -P portnum or --port portnum
              Makes mountd listen on port portnum instead of some
              random  port. By default, mountd will listen on the
              mount/udp port specified in /etc/services,  or,  if
              that  is  undefined,  on some arbitrary port number
              below 1024.

Reading the above, if you put a line in /etc/services like:

mount             887/udp

Then it will *ALWAYS* use that port and you can simply open that up in
your firewall settings.

HTH,

-Ath
--