how to configure iptables / syslog to log to separate file

Can I, and if so how can I, configure iptables (esp using GuardDog which
I use to configure iptables) and/or syslog (ie /etc/syslog.conf, ...) so
that my firewall messages are logged into a file other than
/var/log/messages?

I have searched, looked at tutorial, etc. and found this question asked
many times but without ever finding a decent answer.

If it just can not be done, could someone who knows this please state so?

Thanks

R.Parr
Temporal Arts