OT: curious about eth0/eth1

I am curious about why people choose to make a certain interface internal or external...

I have always made my "eth0" interface my inside interface.. and once I have the box UP and RUNNING (and firewalled), then bring up my outside interface "eth1" ... My primary network for smb/nfs/whatever is my inside network (thus eth0)... The outside interface is just a "extra interface" that I can add on (or move/change/delete) or even make it ppp0 if I happen to be changing ISP's :)

I notice several people pick eth0 as their outside interface, and sorta "oh yea" the rest of the inside network is on eth1. I know the linux kernel could really care less what they are called, its mostly a "neatness" thing I guess... Also it seems like that leaves your box open to attack from the time it installs (if you do a NET based install) till the time you get around to actually putting a firewall on it.

Again.. I am just curious as to why some do it one way.. and some the other... the above is only MY opinion, and could be dreadfully wrong :)

Tommy

--
Tommy McNeely -- Tommy.McNeely@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems - IT Ops - Broomfield Campus Support