Re: Question about fiewall script....

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 09:19 pm, Kevin L. Collins wrote:
> I'm in the midst of building VICTORY, my Linux Router/Firewall.
>
> I'm reading the book "Linux Firewalls, Second Edition" by Robert L.
> Ziegler, and using a great deal of the 4th chapter to help me protect
> my LAN from the 'baddies'.

Set a bookmark to http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net .  Keep the
ChunkyHTML version alway open in a minimized browser window.  Print out
the PS version.  Carry it with you everywhere until you see firewall
scripts in your sleep.  (Just a suggestion... :^)

> But I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer
> for...(beware this may show extreme newbie stupidity, you've been
> warned.)
>
> On several occasions, Mr. Ziegler invokes lines simaliar to the
> following for IPTABLES rules and I'm not so sure I can follow them.

> My big concern is: No where in the book (that I have yet found) does
> he mention that you should or need to set the constant
> "CONNECTION_TRACKING"
> in the script you're creating.  So, this leads me to believe that the
> Connection Tracking module does it as it loads.  It also leads me to
> think
> that the module controls the state of the constant as it works.
>
> Does someone know if this is the case?  Or maybe be able to point me
> to somewhere that I can find out.

Not the case, unless you explicitly set it.  Try "echo
$CONNECTION_TRACKING" and you should see that it is null.