HELP: Conntrack table filling up !!!

Hi everybody,

I have this problem with connexion tracking table filling to the max and then it remains in a state "near the edge" that will allow only a small number of new conexions and will cause a large packet loss, even "sendto: operation not permited" sometimes when I ping the neighboor routers and so on.
Everything got cleared up if I delete the ip tables rules that deal with contrack and remove and reinsert ip_conntrack module.
Now if there is some method of avoiding this ( I only see a discution from 2001 that was not conclusive) or if there is is an method to time-out faster those conexions in conntrack table or even a method of globaly quick-flush that table ( could be a even an experimental patch, I'm willing to try it and report) I'd very muck like to hear about it.
Anyhow, thank you for your good work and have a happy new year.

Regards,

Mircea Ciocan

P.S. kernel is 2.4.18 and machine have enough ram ( 512 MB) and processing power ( P-III 800MHZ), traffic is something like 50 Mb/s top ans 25-30 medium.