Re: How to disable ip_contrack_irc when its compiled into the kernel?

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 11:27:43AM -0700, Dan Egli wrote:
> Unfortunately, I believe that once a module is compiled into the kernel
> it's present, end of discussion. And besides. thats not quite what you

   Agreed on this.  It's a big incentive to do all/most of the netfilter
stuff as modules.

> want is it? removing ip_conntrack_irc would kill ALL irc abilities, not
> just DCC. After all, doens't IRC operate on multiple ports, similiar to FTP?

   You should be able to actually IRC through the box, as that's a
simple TCP connection one way or the other, assuming other rules allow
it.  The ip_nat_irc and ip_conntrack_irc are to snoop DCC commands to
allow those to work.
   Yes, the client<->server can use any port really, which is why the
irc modules allow you to pass a list of ports to snoop.  Another good
reason to compile them as modules as I don't believe you can specify the
ports option when hard compiled in?  Or is there some runtime option
that could be added with lilo's append statement?

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key