UDP packet forwarding

Hi,

I am running Linux Kernel 2.4.20 and iptables 1.2.7a, with a Linux server doing primarly SNAT work for masquerading. I don't seem to be able to forward UDP packets with iptables. I am able to forward TCP packets through the firewall, such as identd requests, like so:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -p tcp --destination-port 113 --to-destination xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What I'm doing here is forwarding a packet from an external system to a machine on an internal network, so that it can answer an identd request. The above works fine for that. However, it doesn't seem to work for UDP packets. Even when I forward all data from the source IP address to an internal host (as opposed to limiting it by --destination-port), the UDP data refuses to be forwarded, and my linux machine sends out ICMP port unreachable errors to the external machine. No data is sent across the local ethernet at all.

Is there any reason for this? Anything I'm doing wrong or can change to correct it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.