RE: iptables on Red Hat Linux 8.0 installation requires frequent iptables restart

I have running a couple of RH8.0 routers/firewalls; some with distro
packages, others upgraded with newer kernels from RH, or my own rebuilds;
they have between 1 and 5 100mbit Ethernet interfaces. The ones which have
all fixed IP addresses keep running for weeks now. The ones with dynamically
assigned IP addresses (through DHCP) need a restart once in a while because
the firewall rules are very strict, and don't allow packets in with a
different destination IP address (that changes sometimes when the DHCP lease
expires). That could be a reason.

Until now I haven't had any situation that couldn't be explained, so I don't
think that there is any bug, like a resource leak in the netfilter code (no,
I don't even believe myself here).

What I suggest is to replace ANY DROP or REJECT line (don't forget the chain
policies), with a LOG + DROP/REJECT. And then sit and wait until no packets
are moving again. Then look in kernel syslog (usually in file
/var/log/messages), and see if packets are being dropped. Use tcpdump -n -i
any to see if the packets are coming in, and are going out.

--
Vik