Re: QoS limitations ....

After some checking i found this:
/* "Handles"
   ---------

    All the traffic control objects have 32bit identifiers, or
"handles".

    They can be considered as opaque numbers from user API viewpoint,
    but actually they always consist of two fields: major and
    minor numbers, which are interpreted by kernel specially,
    that may be used by applications, though not recommended.

    F.e. qdisc handles always have minor number equal to zero,
    classes (or flows) have major equal to parent qdisc major, and
    minor uniquely identifying class inside qdisc.

    Macros to manipulate handles:
 */

#define TC_H_MAJ_MASK (0xFFFF0000U)
#define TC_H_MIN_MASK (0x0000FFFFU)
#define TC_H_MAJ(h) ((h)&TC_H_MAJ_MASK)
#define TC_H_MIN(h) ((h)&TC_H_MIN_MASK)
#define TC_H_MAKE(maj,min) (((maj)&TC_H_MAJ_MASK)|((min)&TC_H_MIN_MASK))

#define TC_H_UNSPEC     (0U)
#define TC_H_ROOT       (0xFFFFFFFFU)
#define TC_H_INGRESS    (0xFFFFFFF1U)

inside include/linux/pkt_sched.h (linux 2.4.19 kernel tree).
It seems that you can set FFFF class ids as stated by the minor mask.
Hope to be right,

Marcello

--
Marcello Scacchetti <marcello.scacchetti@nextrem.it>