MARK matching

Group:

I don't like the idea of allowing all traffic destined for the external IP on
the external interface on a machine that doubles as a firewall and a server.
But I have a webmail interface that doesn't work unless I do just that.  What
I want to know is, is it valid to use the MARK target on these packets on
their way 'out' so that they can be recognized as not having been spoofed?  I
haven't seen any documentation on using it like this, and I wonder if this is
a viable solution, or if anyone has a better idea.

Thanks,

Rocco