RE: portfw on iptables 2.4 kernel problem.

[snip]
> > The above takes care of the control connection only. Since the
> > Internet machine believes it is accessing an FTP server on the
> > firewall itself, the latter is addressed by its FTP control
> > connection. This means that the packets cross the firewall's INPUT
> > chain, before they can be DNATed in the PREROUTING chain. I'm not
> > entirely sure about the outbound packets, but most things netfilter
> > apart from NAT require symmetric rules, so I suppose you need an
> > OUTPUT rule to match the INPUT one.
>
> I don't see how this would be.  The first chain that a packet
> entering
> the firewall hits is mangle-PREROUTING, second is nat-PREROUTING.  At
> that point it is DNATted, and then hits a routing decision that
> determines if it is local or not, IE INPUT or FORWARD.  It
> should never
> 'cross' INPUT at all, unless my understanding (and most sources I've
> read, and traversal tests performed) is faulty.

Then that's where our impression differs. I have thought up to now that
INPUT is hit before PREROUTING before FORWARD before POSTROUTING before
OUTPUT. And that a packet may stop being processed between PREROUTING and
FORWARD as well as between POSTROUTING and OUTPUT.

I may check the one NATing firewall I have running.. later.

Cheers,
Tobias