Re: iptables management problem

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 11:35 am, Afshin Lamei wrote:
> I have installed the Iptables 1.2.6a according to the netfilter's document,
> but It doesn't act as a service.
> Do I need to manually setup my firewall after each system boot up?
> --afshin

In the default setup, yes.  One solution is to create a script (name it
firewall for convenience) in /etc/rc.d/init.d (well, at least with some
distros, such as RedHat) and links to it as /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/Sxxfirewall and
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Sxxfirewall (where xx is a number to start it at your chosen
point in the starting sequence, relative to the other Sxx script links for
each of those runlevels, again RedHat - your distro may differ).  As long as
you have a valid script named (ie) /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall then "service
firewall start" will start it.  The links in rc5.d and rc3.d will cause it to
be automatically started in each of those runlevels.  If you want, you can
write your script to support start, stop, and restart, the standard
parameters most such scripts support, but that isn't necessary to building
the firewall at system boot.  If there are no parameters supported, then when
it is invoked during boot with the 'start' parameter the script will simply
ignore the parameter and execute anyway.