Re: Too many ARP entries and Re: sendto: No buffer space available

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:08:54PM +0100, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> Le lun 02/12/2002 à 21:28, andre.correa@pobox.com a écrit :
> > But  there  is  still a question for me. Looking at my arp table, I
> > see that there are =~ 150 entries, seconds passing and more entries
> > coming, 20 seconds after I can have =~1100, it goes on until it reachs
> > =~2200  entries,  then it goes back to the =~100 and starts over again.
>
> Wierd...

Weird, certainly... haven't seen anything like this before.

<snip>

> It is not normal. You should monitor ARP traffic on your network using
> arpwatch (see Freshmeat, available as .deb, .rpm too) to see if someone
> would be playing ARP cache poisoning (see http://www.arp-sk.org/).

I haven't looked at arpwatch recetly, but presumably that will just scream
blue bloody murder.

What does

tcpdump -npevvvi <<interface>> arp

look like?

The original paragraph of:

> > I  have  less  then  50  NAT users. Is it normal to have some many ARP
> > entries with this variation? Looking the ARP table I see my "Internet"
> > interface with lots of entries, with internet host IP addresses and my
> > gateway's NIC MAC address.

Isn't quite as clear as required.  Andre, any chance you could cut and paste
a few examples, so we can try to understand the symptoms a bit better?

--
FunkyJesus System Administration Team