ip_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 1:43 pm, Vicky Shrestha wrote:

> I have built a firewall on 2.4.8-17 kernel which has 2 Mb of traffic going
> in an out of it.
>
> I recently added a line :
> iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISED,RELATED -J ACCEPT
>
> Now I can see the lines "ip_conntrack : table full, dropping packet" in my
> kern.log.
>
> Does dropping packets means that it is actually dropping the packets or
> just truncating the file /proc/net/ip_conntrack , does this affect my
> client's connections???

It means it really is dropping packets.   You should find out why the
conntrack table is too small and do something about it.

The two possible reasons are:

1. You have a reasonable sized conntrack table but something is creating
large numbers of entries (maybe SYN floods or something similar).

2. You have a reasonable number of connections being created through the
machine, but insufficient memory has been allocated to the conntrack table.

Questions:

1. How much memory do you have in your firewall machine ?

2. What are the results of:
wc -l /proc/net/ip_conntrack
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

Antony.

--

Your email has been returned due to insufficient voltage.