Purely NAT

> How much memory is in the netfilter machine / what size is your conntrack
> table / how many connections are you generating with your portscans for
this
> to be a problem ?

This is not a matter of the number of connection generated by the
portscanner.
But the type of scanning option.
If you turn on stateful filtering, and you try to scan a class B (or
multiple class C) address
using "nmap -sS", then you are in trouble.

According to iptables source code, you will have to wait for five days for
timeout.

FYI, my machine is 64MB and I know it is default to 4K connection. I tried
to increase it
to 64K, and I get other process being killed (the OOM bug), sometime the
machine hang.
This is kernel-2.4.18.

Even I put in more RAM let say 512MB/1GB. The maximum of the connection
table is
only 64K. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
I point here is any iptables with 64K limitation on connection table can be
easily
DOS by a scanning (using the either "nmap -sS" or "nmap -sA" ).

.//Jet