Performace problems with NAT

On Friday 25 October 2002 2:56 pm, Berndt Sevcik wrote:

> I am using a combination of source based routing with iproute2 and nat
> (iptables 1.2.6a-5). The problem I cant use the full performance of our
> line. We have a 10MBit line and i can only use about 2MBit, and not a
> fault of our ISP.

Okay, knowing that your line is 10Mbit adds some more information.

1. How do you know the problem is not with your ISP ?   Can you download at
10Mbit under any circumstances ?

2. What makes you think is it NAT which is causing the performance problem ?
Does the problem go away if you do not use NAT ?

3. How busy is your box (what load average does uptime show) ?

4. Are you getting any kernellogging messages about conntrack table full etc ?

5. What speed CPU / how much memory is in the netfilter machine ?

Antony.

--

This is not a rehearsal.
This is Real Life.