IPSec passthrough with iptables

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 5:47 am, Thomas Smith wrote:

> I need to be able to connect to clients IPSec VPN from
> behind and iptables firewall. I know the VPN is
> working and my firewall is masquing traffic but IPSec
> doesn't work from systems behind my firewall.
>
> I've got a pretty basic firewall. It's simply masquing
> internal traffic.
>
> Are there some iptables' rules or patches I'm missing?

No patches needed.   No special support in netfilter needed.

Make sure you are forwarding (both ways :-) protocol 50 (ESP), protocol 51
(AH) and UDP sport 500 / dport 500 (IKE).

Also make sure you are using IPsec in tunnel mode, not transport mode
(transport mode will not work through NAT).

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--

If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
we'd be so simple that we couldn't.