how to block 10000's of addresses?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 03:13:16PM +0200, Thomas Lussnig wrote:

| >| Why don't you want 10000 rules on your netfilter box ?   Have you tried it
| >| and found it causes any problems ?
| >
| >My understanding is they are tested sequentially.  Maybe this isn't true,
| >but I see no documentation to the contrary regarding netfilter being any
| >different than past table oriented access list style filtering which uses
| >sequential testing to implement the ordered logic usually involved.
| >
| >One other goal I had not mentioned is being able to add/delete netblocks
| >as needed without replacing the whole ruleset.  But I don't think it would
| >be a big issue.
| >
| With the posibility of user defined tables you can create an BTREE that
| is much faster the linear search.
| But i think that for this propose an mathing like "pool" should be the
| right. there was some ime ago an
| discousion here. If pool should support sparse set of ip's to (rand
| spread). Maybe you can implement it
| and the use the pool module.

Can you provide some references?  URLs?  I'm not really following what
you are saying (maybe language problem) but maybe I would understand it
better with technical background.  I know about BTREE.  I do not know
about "pool" in this context.

I certainly want to avoid linear search of 10000 rules.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| phil-nospam@ipal.net | Texas, USA | http://ka9wgn.ham.org/    |