how to block 10000's of addresses?

On Sunday 13 October 2002 12:50 pm, Phil Howard wrote:

> I would like to know how best to block 10000's of addresses using
> netfilter.  Clearly I do not want to be placing 10000's of individual
> filter table entries in.

Sounds like an incompatible set of requirements.   If you want to block 10000
addresses (and assuming they don't fit into contiguous network ranges) then
you need 10000 rules to be able to specify what you want to block.

Why don't you want 10000 rules on your netfilter box ?   Have you tried it
and found it causes any problems ?

> Is there some kind of means to set up the
> equivalent of a routing table like lookup structure (which can be
> added to and removed from separately) which a single netfilter rule
> would reference to apply matches?

Set up source routing and send the packets to a separate netfilter box whose
sole purpose is to eat packets ?

> I want to block _incoming_ packets.  Null routing these addresses is
> not sufficient, as the lame SYNs will continue to eat up resources.

I don't understand that last part.   If you null route packets, surely
there's no destination for the SYNs, therefore no half-open connections get
set up ?

Antony.

--

Never write it in Perl if you can do it in Awk.
Never do it in Awk if sed can handle it.