what it is the better masquerade or SNAT

On Friday 29 November 2002 04:32 pm, Administrador de Red wrote:
> I has a Ip public true, I want to do a firewall, but i don
> know wich I kind Should i use, masquerade or SNAT?,
> someone can i help?.
>
> thanks very well.

MASQUERADE is only necessary if the IP is dynamic, with SNAT you must spe=
cify=20
the IP address to use.  MASQ will work in the same situations as SNAT, bu=
t=20
incurs more overhead because netfilter will check the IP of the outbound=20
interface every time.

In my own setup, my IP is technically dynamic, but in reality it stays st=
atic=20
for minimum several days, usually until I manually reset the ADSL modem, =
so I=20
use SNAT.  The rare times this is a problem I simply restart my firewall=20
script, which clips the current IP from a "ifconfig ppp0" and builds rule=
s=20
with it.

I can get away with this because usually only myself and my 8-year-old=20
actually use the machines on my network, so if my IP changes it wouldn't=20
create any real problems except that he couldn't connect to disney.com or=
=20
wherever... :^)  ("DADDY!! I can't get to lego.com!"..."service firewall=20
restart"..."Try now...")