[Announce] PacketFlow firewall generator

Dear Netfilter Users:

I would like to announce the initial public release of a new tool called
PacketFlow.  It is a free command line XML based iptables firewall
generator.  I would like to invite you to download and evaluate it.

The basic concept of PacketFlow is that of "security levels."*  Every
interface has a security level, and it indicates how much the interface
is trusted.  By  default connections may made from a high security
interface to a low security interface. By default, connections may not
be made from  a low security interface to a high security interface.
Both may be overridden with access lists.

Several examples are included in the download.  These include dial-up,
broadband, single DMZ, and multiple DMZ examples.  These should
illustrate the basics of the configuration file.  There are a few
features that are not yet shown in the samples, but hopefully they will
be shown soon.

PacketFlow is currently able to generate complete rule sets.  Current
development is focusing on better configuration validation and sanity
checking.  That said, the rule sets generated from a valid configuration
file do work well.  You are strongly encouraged to read through the
generated rules for yourself.

PacketFlow currently does not support generating NAT rules, but I hope
to add that in the future.  Any recommendations on a syntax for NAT
rules would be appreciated.

I would appreciate any feedback that you could provide.  There is a FAQ
on the home page listed below, and the source may be downloaded from the
project page.  Please submit any bugs that you find to the bug tracking
system on the SourceForge site.

Sincerely,

Paul Frieden

Home page:		http://packetflowfw.sourceforge.net
Project page:	http://sourceforge.net/projects/packetflowfw/

* This is very similar to the security-levels used by the PIX firewall