New to IP Tables

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 19:14, David Reta wrote:
> 	I just started using IP Tables and have a question. I was not able
> to find the answer in any of the docs I've read so far.
> I have a machine that I am using as a router and running Ip Tables on it.
> Here is a list of my tables.
>
> [root@qa-gate root]# iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp-data
>
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:domain
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:26
> DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain test (0 references)
>
> I am not able to pass any data through the router. Here is the scenario, I
> want to access a Web Site which is on the other side of the router. The way
> that I interpret this is that the packet will get passed to the first chain
> which is
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
> and be let through, yet this is not happening. All tcp traffic is being
> blocked which is defined by my 6th rule. I guess I am not understanding
> this, but I would think that the packet would match the first rule and be
> passed through and the following chains would be ignored. My logic is
> probably wrong.

You need to enable IP forwarding for your box to act as a router:

Also, if your router pushes packets between an internal network (not
routable from the Internet) and the Internet, you'll also need to enable
MASQUERADEing, like so:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --source ${INTERNAL_NET} --destination !
${INTERNAL_NET} -j MASQUERADE