Required iptables restart each boot?

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 13:16, David Wynter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an iptables script that works just fine. But when I have to reboot my
> Linux box it runs the iptables script (it has chkconfig as 2345 08 92). But
> none of my PCs on the LAN can see the Internet until I do "services iptables
> restart" then they can. But my Linux box can see the Internet prior to this
> iptables restart? Any explanation as to why this is so?

Your Linux firewall box...  Does it do DHCP on one or more of the
interfaces involved?  iptables starting 08, at what point do the NIC's
get finalized?

Try changing the iptables startup sequence until later, change it to a
number higher than "network" (usually 10 on a redhat box).

> I have another problem too. I am not sure it is related to iptables. I have
> iptables on my linux box attached to my LAN. The LAN has 2 PCs a Win98
> notebook and a W2K Server PC. The former can ping the gateway IP address,
> but the latter cannot. The former is 10.0.0.5 and the latter is 10.0.0.6
> both within the range of the lansubnet declared in the iptables script
> (10.0.0.0/8). The W2K Server can FTP to the Linux box only via the internet
> not directly to the gateway IP (10.0.0.1). I have made sure that packet
> filtering on the W2K box id OFF. Any ideas on why the W2K PC cannot access
> any service on ports I have allowed on the Linux box with iptables running
> when the Win98 notebook can? By the way FORWARD'ed packets are fine for all
> PCs on the LAN.

First off, use a more reasonable subnet internally, such as
192.168.137.0/24, (it might help later if you ever have to set up some
type of tunelled routing to another network of reserved subnets).

Not sure what the problem is exactly, but you might check each of the
PC's on the internal subnet for their ip configuration.  Make sure that
they all have the proper Subnet Mask, Network Address, and Broadcast
address.