TOS, DSCP and ECN

When I mark with DSCP a packet, is it only for routed packets? I mean if
a mark packet going through my machine, but locally generated (suposse a
squid packet); if  I want to iddentify this packet before it going out
(suposse for traffic control purposes) how would I mark the packet so I
can handle it later with iproute2.

--
A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty