Re: netfilter: Kconfig: IP6_NF_IPTABLES_LEGACY old =y behaviour question

Hello Florian,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 03:20:22PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Breno Leitao <leitao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 01:23:39PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:

> > In certain environments, iptables needs to run, but there is *no*
> > permission to load modules.
> >
> > For those cases, I have CONFIG_IP6_NF_IPTABLES configured as y in
> > previous kernels, and now it becomes a "m", which doesn't work because
> > iptables doesn't have permission to load modules, returning:
> >
> > 	$ ip6tables -L
> > 	modprobe: FATAL: Module ip6_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/....
> > 	ip6tables v1.8.10 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
> > 	Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> Hmm, but how can that work?  If you can't load modules, you can't load
> ip6t_filter either.

This happens inside a container that has no support for module loading, and
expects the tables to be =y.

> And if thats builtin, then IP6_NF_IPTABLES_LEGACY is supposed to become
> =y too.

Correct, both of them (IP6_NF_IPTABLES_LEGACY and IP_NF_IPTABLES_LEGACY)
was able to be user selectable, and they are not anymore, causing this
behaviour change.

Thanks for your support,
--breno