Expose skb_gso_validate_network_len() [Was: ebtables: load-on-demand extensions]

On 19/06/2020 17:15, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> [...]

(the function name is skb_gso_validate_network_len, my mistake)

I previously expressed strong opinion that our "hack" to send icmp rejects on
Layer 2 will not be useful for anyone else. But the existence of the commit from
Michael Braun proves that I was wrong, and Jan Engelhards was right: it probably
makes sense to implement the functionality that we need within the "new" nft
infrastructure.

As far as I understand, the part that is missing in the existing implementation
is exposure (in some form) of `skb_gso_validate_network_len()` function to
user-configurable filters. Because the kernel does now expose the _size_ under
which a gso skb can be segmented, but only the _boolean_ with the meaning "this
gso skb can fit in mtu that you've specified", I could envision a new match that
could be named like "fits-in-mtu-size" or "segmentable-under". Then an nftables
rule could look roughly like this (for ipv4):

    nft insert rule bridge filter FORWARD \
      ip frag-off & 0x4000 != 0 \
      ip protocol tcp \
      not tcp segmentable-under 1400 \
      reject with icmp type frag-needed

This new function would act the same as "ip len < XXX" for non-gso skbs, and
call skb_gso_validate_network_len(skb, XXX) for gso skbs.

Do you think it makes sense? Shall I try to implement this and submit a patch?

Thank you,

Eugene