Re: ebtables: load-on-demand extensions

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 03:45:57PM +0200, Eugene Crosser wrote:

> >> For our particular use case, we are running the skb through the kernel
> >> function `skb_validate_network_len()` with custom mtu size [..]
> >
> > I find no such function in the current or past kernels. Perhaps you could post
> > the code of the module(s) you already have, and we can assess if it, or the
> > upstream ideals, can be massaged to make the code stick.
>
> I really really don't see our module being useful for anyone else! Even
> for us, it's just a stopgap measure, hopefully to be dropped after a few
> months. That said, I believe that the company will have no objections
> against publishing it. I've uploaded initial (untested) code on github
> here https://github.com/crosser/ebt-pmtud, in case anyone is interested.

I think there is a way to achieve this with nft 0.9.6 ?

commit 2a20b5bdbde8a1b510f75b1522772b07e51a77d7
Author: Michael Braun <...>
Date:   Wed May 6 11:46:23 2020 +0200

    datatype: add frag-needed (ipv4) to reject options

    This enables to send icmp frag-needed messages using reject target.

    I have a bridge with connects an gretap tunnel with some ethernet lan.
    On the gretap device I use ignore-df to avoid packets being lost without
    icmp reject to the sender of the bridged packet.

    Still I want to avoid packet fragmentation with the gretap packets.
    So I though about adding an nftables rule like this:

    nft insert rule bridge filter FORWARD \
      ip protocol tcp \
      ip length > 1400 \
      ip frag-off & 0x4000 != 0 \
      reject with icmp type frag-needed

    This would reject all tcp packets with ip dont-fragment bit set that are
    bigger than some threshold (here 1400 bytes). The sender would then receive
    ICMP unreachable - fragmentation needed and reduce its packet size (as
    defined with PMTU).