Re: Proposing to add a structure to UserData

sbezverk <sbezverk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to propose to add some structure to UserData. Currently nft tool uses UserData to carry comments and it prints out whatever is stored in it without much of processing. Since UserData is the only available mechanism to store some metadata for a rule, if it is used, then comments in nft cli get totally screwed up.

Then you are using it wrong :-)

Userdata is structured, its not used only for comments.
Which userdata are you referring to?  We have this for
rules, sets, and elements.

> If we could add attributes to UserData indicating type NFT_USERDATA_COMMENT with length, then we could preserve nft comments and at the same time allow to use UserData for other things.
> What do you think?

As far as I can see what you want is already implemented, for example
rule comments live in NFTNL_UDATA_RULE_COMMENT sub-type.