Re: Weird/High CPU usage caused by LOG target

Am 26.12.19 um 23:29 schrieb Duncan Roe:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 11:05:33AM +0800, Tom Yan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> So I was trying to log all traffics in the FORWARD chain with the LOG
>> target in iptables (while I say all, it's just some VPN server/client
>> that is used by only me, and the tests were just opening some
>> website).
>>
>> I notice that the logging causes high CPU usage (so it goes up only
>> when there are traffics). In (h)top, the usage shows up as openvpn's
>> if the forwarding involves their tuns. Say I am forwarding from one
>> tun to another, each of the openvpn instance will max out one core on
>> my raspberry pi 3 b+. (And that actually slows the whole system down,
>> like ssh/bash responsiveness, and stalls the traffic flow.) If I do
>> not log, or log with the NFLOG target instead, their CPU usage will be
>> less than 1%.
>>
>> Interestingly, the problem seems to be way less obvious if I am using
>> it on higher end devices (like my Haswell PC, or even a raspberry pi
>> 4). There are still "spikes" as well, but it won't make me "notice"
>> the problem, at least not when I am just doing some trivial web
>> browsing.
>>
>> Let me know how I can further help debugging, if any of you are
>> interested in fixing this.
>>
> Just in case you missed it, be sure that your logger is configured not to sync
> the file system after every logging. That is the default action btw.
>
> I have used large-volume logging in the past and never encountered a CPU problem
> (but had to run logrotate every minute to avoid filling the disk)

the problem is "-j LOG" at it's own and not suprisingly after having
enough of random crashes and kexec only spits the disk full of
demsg-output from iptables "-j LOG" switching awy to NFLOG and ulogd and
never ever faced antother crash

"-j LOG" spits into kernel ring buffer and by it's own produces double
load no matter what happns after the action