Re: nftables feature request: modify set element timeout

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 4:22 PM Fran Fitzpatrick
<francis.x.fitzpatrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How come we would need an upstream kernel patch?

I meant that the expiration configuration is a quite new feature [0]
that requires a recent kernel.

> It seems like this can be done in the packet path, but I want to do it
> outside of the packet path. Ref:
> https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Updating_sets_from_the_packet_path

No, the expiration time can be modified outside the packet path as well.

> I essentially want to update the timeout of a set element from the
> userspace `nft` command.

If the expiration approach is not valid for you, then currently the
only option is deleting the element and add it with the new timeout
value.

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pablo/nf.git/commit/?id=79ebb5bb4e38a58ca796dd242b855a4982e101d7