Re: Use of oifname in input chains

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > delete jump from output		# disallow?
> >
> > This seems rather suicidal to me.
>
> OK, you think there may be people using oifname from the C chain, but
> how so? To skip rules that are specific to the output path?

Maybe, or just to consolidate rules, e.g.

chain C {
	[ some common rules ]
	meta oifname bla ...
	[ other common rules ]
}

After the proposed change, kernel refuses ruleset as soon as C is
or becomes reachable from a prerouting/input basechain.

(Alternatively, we could reject if not reachable from output/forward,
 but that seems even more crazy because we'd have to refuse ruleset
 that has unreachable chain with 'oifname' in it ...).