Re: Use of oifname in input chains

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Feature because one could add the rule to a non-base chain and jump to
> > it from any hook to reduce duplication in ruleset. We would have to
> > check rules in the target chain while validating the rule containing the
> > jump.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> How does this behave in iptables BTW? I think iptables simply allows
> this, but it won't ever match obviously.

iptables userspace will reject iptables -A INPUT -o foo.
-A FOO -o foo will "work", even if we only have a -j FOO from INPUT.

I don't think its worth to add tracking for this to kernel:

new chain C
meta oifname bla added to C
jump added from output to C
jump added from input to C   # should this fail? why?

new chain C
jump added from input to C
meta oifname added to C	     # same q: why should this fail?