Re: Creating custom ipsets

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, Akshat Kakkar wrote:

> > No, that's a totally wrong way. ipset is independent from
> > iptables/ip6tables: you cannot refer to a match/target/chain from
> > ipset. It also makes no sense to reimplement those in ipset.
>
> Yes. Thats obvious that iptables need to do decision handling, packet
> flow, etc. Just that, I want to store that information in ipset using
> which iptables can decide. Clearly, iptables also need to have support
> of these modified/new ipset.

That'd mean all those things should be interfaced via the SET target - too
complicated and still would require a lot of modifications in iptables as
well.

> > If you miss functionality in nftables compared to ipset, then invest
> > your energy in nftables instead. Dictionaries, maps are already there.
>
> This looks to me more promising from day 1. However, are all
> functionalities of iptables, ipset incorporated in nftables? For eg.,
> can we store connmark and tc classid in skbinfo of named set in
> nftables?

I'd not worry about connmark/classid in nftables. Those are missing from
nftables but I strongly believe it's simpler to add the support there.

What's really missing from nftables yet is to handle real subnets in
sets/maps/dicts. To add that feature needs more work and time.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary