Re: nfqueue & bridge netfilter considered broken

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:22:44PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> > Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hm, what about attaching the notrack conntrack for this case?
> >
> > This is what Patrick said last time this came up (source:
> > http://marc.info/?l=netfilter-devel&m=131471329004889&w=2 ):
> >
> > "I don't think the clones should have invalid state, even untracked is
> > very questionable since all packets should have NAT applied to them in
> > the same way, connmarks might be used etc.

> > way would be to serialize reinjection of packets belonging to
> > unconfirmed conntracks in nf_reinject or the queueing modules. Conntrack
> > related stuff doesn't really belong there, but it seems like the easiest
> > and safest fix to me."
> >
> > As for bridge conntrack, this is indeed a good question.
> >
> > Seems we will need to register a dedicated conntrack bridge hook that
> > takes care of uncloning in FORWARD hook, i.e. add a hook in FORWARD
> > that makes a deep copy of all unconfirmed conntracks if skb is cloned,
> > and (once skb reaches nf_confirm) do a non-destructive clash resolution
> > (accept instead of drop of the clashing entries should be enough).
> >
> > We have to sacrifice another status bit for this, or perhaps add a
> > bridge conntrack extension to store such a clash hint though.
>
> Assuming nf_nat_setup_info() was not yet called, ie. NAT from
> postrouting case, then these packets with a deep copy and the flag set
> may get different ports given the port clash resolution, then the
> clash resolution would need to unmangle packets to get them back to a
> consistent configuration.

Right -- one of the reasons why I did not plan on adding NAT hooks
for NFPROTO_BRIDGE ...

> This is something that can only happen from nfqueue if any of the
> multiqueues approach is used to distribute packets between several
> CPUs, right?

I think we also might have a race with local delivery/upcall vs.
flood forwarding, local_rcv path in bridge uses netif_receive_skb so skb
might be queued on percpu backlog. (the race is much more prominent
with per-cpu nfqueueing though and I don't recall seeing such race
related crashes without nfqueue presence).