Re: nfqueue & bridge netfilter considered broken

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:22:44PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > This approach is simple and it would only break when packets are
> > > flooded to all ports, actually this is not working anyway because of
> > > clashes at confirm, right?
> >
> > Hm, what about attaching the notrack conntrack for this case?
>
> This is what Patrick said last time this came up (source:
> http://marc.info/?l=netfilter-devel&m=131471329004889&w=2 ):
>
> "I don't think the clones should have invalid state, even untracked is
> very questionable since all packets should have NAT applied to them in
> the same way, connmarks might be used etc.
>
> We probably need to restore the above mentioned assumption somehow. One
> way would be to serialize reinjection of packets belonging to
> unconfirmed conntracks in nf_reinject or the queueing modules. Conntrack
> related stuff doesn't really belong there, but it seems like the easiest
> and safest fix to me."
>
> As for bridge conntrack, this is indeed a good question.
>
> Seems we will need to register a dedicated conntrack bridge hook that
> takes care of uncloning in FORWARD hook, i.e. add a hook in FORWARD
> that makes a deep copy of all unconfirmed conntracks if skb is cloned,
> and (once skb reaches nf_confirm) do a non-destructive clash resolution
> (accept instead of drop of the clashing entries should be enough).
>
> We have to sacrifice another status bit for this, or perhaps add a
> bridge conntrack extension to store such a clash hint though.

Assuming nf_nat_setup_info() was not yet called, ie. NAT from
postrouting case, then these packets with a deep copy and the flag set
may get different ports given the port clash resolution, then the
clash resolution would need to unmangle packets to get them back to a
consistent configuration.

This is something that can only happen from nfqueue if any of the
multiqueues approach is used to distribute packets between several
CPUs, right?