Re: libxtables backward compatibility

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:56:38 +0200 (CEST)
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Absolutely not. Never has been in any shared library system.
> >
> >(I begin to see why some products stay with a specific set of pkg versions for
> >longer periods of time: keeping one or two things updated can turn into a
> >full-time job updating all of the related pkgs.)
>
> This is why anyone caring about their time is offloading automatable task to
> software, like openbuildservice.org does for me.

That would be a great service to be able to use.

Alas, Smoothwall isn't there yet; it doesn't use packages. Maybe some day. Regardless, I still have to manually update the build process when bumping gcc, glibc, binutils and similar utilities; LFS is a good guide, but it still takes a long time to figure out how to make those packages build. Never mind poring through the build logs to find which packages ignore "-m32 -march=i586" (there are plenty of x86 CPUs in use that don't have the CMOV instructions, thus i586 is required). And never mind finding all of a package's dependencies, and adding new ones to the build.

Neal