Re: conntrack-tool question for contribution.

On 16 March 2016 at 12:16, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <majopela@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was considering the possibility of making an small contribution to
> conntrack-tool
> to allow the batching of commands in a single conntrack-tool call.
>
> Specifically I'm interested in batching delete commands.
>
> In some of the neutron reference implementations we make use of conntrack-tool
> to target and kill any active connection when security group rules are removed.
>
> That sometimes expands in thousands of calls due to combinations (worst
> scenario is n_port^2 calls for a very common type of rule we have).
>

> So I was considering two options:
>
> 1) Adding a mode to accept conntrack-tool actions via stdin
> 2) Accepting the cmdline notation of separating multiple command lines
> with "--" in a single call to conntrack tool.
>

> Any thoughts or recommendations in this regard?

Hi Miguel Angel,

I wonder if the kernel support batching of messages in ctnetlink. You
may want to check the sources [0][1].

Perhaps you want the conntrack utility to simply chain a lot of calls
to the kernel rather than a proper batch of messages. In this case, I
don't know exactly why but I like more your 2) option.

[0] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_netlink.c#L3260
[1] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/netfilter/nfnetlink.c#L282

--
Arturo Borrero González