Re: IP sets: Suggestion: additional value match

Thanks for your reply!

> As far as I see it's quite similar to the "connmark/CONNMARK" match
> and target. Why cannot that simply be used?

Yes, it is quite similar to connmark. But - to my knowledge - I think at least the following differences apply:

CONNMARK can be used: a) if there are no conflicts with existing use of connmark rules - in particular with special firewall/packetfilter systems with built-in-rules - and b) if a connection should be identified exactly by src/dest IP + src/dest port.

SET can be used without interfering with connection tracking and other existing SET rules. Identifying the origin and destination of a packet is more flexible by using one or all of src/dest IP + one port.

In particular, I used SET instead of CONNMARK to implement the rules described by Jan Engelhardt in "Detecting and deceiving network scans".

Best Regards,
Rudolf