Re: UDP packets sent with wrong source address after routing change [AV#3431]

Hi Jozsef,

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

The VPN cannot be brought up until networking is up, so the only ways I can see to prevent this are:

* the firewall ruleset forbids packets destined for VPN addresses to leave via the public interface. But the VPN destinations not be known until the tunnel comes up and the VPN server declares to the client which subnets should be routed through it. It might even change every time. Or it might be the default route. Should we then forbid all packets from leaving on the public interface? How will the VPN communication happen then?

But *something* selects which traffic is forwarded via the VPN tunnels. As egress-ingress filtering, the same selection can be used to allow the proper interfaces only.

The VPN software may decide, based on configuration received from the remote server, what traffic is routed. Almost all tunneled VPNs work this way; the only exception I can think of is IPsec. OpenVPN and anything PPP-based (PPTP and L2TP) all create an interface with a subnet and mask assigned by the server, and the kernel automatically routes all traffic for that subnet through the VPN. But what address will be assigned? Often, only the VPN server knows, and sometimes only at the moment of assignment.

We could say "you must know which subnet will be assigned in order to write your policy" which is technically correct, but not user friendly. I'm very heartened to see that you want to make the default behaviour (without resort to external tools) more user-friendly :)

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.