Re: UDP packets sent with wrong source address after routing change [AV#3431]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>
> > But the thread is drifted from the original cases:
> >
> > > This only seems to happen when you're using a UDP device behind a Linux
> > > NAT router, and your routing to the destination host changes, because:
> > >
> > > * You bring up a VPN tunnel and the SIP destination is at the other end
> > > of that tunnel; or
> >
> > This case is not handled by MASQUERADE.
> >
> > > * Your default route changes because you failover to another provider.
> >
> > And this case is also not handled if the original default route device is
> > still healthy, that is for example when you use some dynamic routing
> > protocol which detects failure in the routing path.
>
> Not necessarily dynamic routing. Even using pppd (pppoa/pppoe) for one
> connection and ethernet for the other can cause this problem. Any case that
> changes routing without bringing down the old device can be affected.
>
> I'm glad you agree that these are actual problems or limitations with
> MASQUERADE.
>
> > I do not see any simple solution except to delete any NATed entry
> > unconditionally when the routing changes. But that can easily be too much
> > and may kill valid entries.
>
> But I'm sorry that you won't consider having a flag that changes
> MASQUERADE's behaviour to automatically change the source address in the
> conntrack entry.

I don't think changing the source address were a good solution: if
MASQUERADE could be changed to handle the cases then the wrong conntrack
entries should be deleted.

But what would trigger the action? (Routing changed? I do not see such a
kernel event but I might missed it.) And more importantly, what would
identify the affected entries?

I do not see any good answer to those questions.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary