Re: FSM for TCP proto

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Nicolas Ma?tre wrote:

> I've been trying to understand netfilter's connection tracking for TCP.
>
> The FSM used is a simplified version of the usual TCP FSM, and
> therefore, as I understand it, it does not permit a perfect tracking
> of TCP.

Perfect tracking is not possible, because the packets we see may get lost
in transit to the destination.

> A first question is: why not rely on a better version of the FSM? It
> would maybe imply that the states of both end-hosts should be stored
> but it would also allow a finer-grained tracking of the connection.

Someone should simply come up with a better version.

> I assume this is because the firewall doesn't need to be so specific
> about the tracking, but why not? Wouldn't it be better from a security
> viewpoint?
>
> In the same line of thinking, I can see that, for example, at the
> regular connection closing, no check is done on the direction of the
> FIN segments. AFAIK, this would mean that a host could make think the
> firewall that a connection is closed when it is actually sending 2
> times a  FIN segment. A one-liner check would make sure that both FINs
> come from different hosts, why omit this?

That's documented in a comment of the state table. If there's a real
threat from it, then that one-liner should be added to the code.

> The real question is: am I missing something important that would make
> this kind of things insignificant?

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary