FSM for TCP proto

Hi,

I've been trying to understand netfilter's connection tracking for TCP.

The FSM used is a simplified version of the usual TCP FSM, and
therefore, as I understand it, it does not permit a perfect tracking
of TCP.

A first question is: why not rely on a better version of the FSM? It
would maybe imply that the states of both end-hosts should be stored
but it would also allow a finer-grained tracking of the connection.

I assume this is because the firewall doesn't need to be so specific
about the tracking, but why not? Wouldn't it be better from a security
viewpoint?

In the same line of thinking, I can see that, for example, at the
regular connection closing, no check is done on the direction of the
FIN segments. AFAIK, this would mean that a host could make think the
firewall that a connection is closed when it is actually sending 2
times a  FIN segment. A one-liner check would make sure that both FINs
come from different hosts, why omit this?
The real question is: am I missing something important that would make
this kind of things insignificant?

In advance, thank you.

--
nimai