Re: nfnetlink and conntrack extension question

On Wednesday 2011-11-30 19:22, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

>> As for 1, you can use genetlink, just as I do for the copy of ipset
>> in xtables-addons. Being forced to use nfnetlink has been point of
>> much discussion and ultimately, nobody was able to provide a
>> technical reason on why nfnetlink is better.
>
>Well, few differences. With genetlink:
>
>* you have to send a message to look up for the ID first (to guess the
>  multicast group and subsystem IDs).

That is to be expected and rather ok (usernames<->UID mapping is
the very same issue in many a program).

Adding myself, from the previous discussions,

* one needs to listen for ID changes

=> I hope that genetlink can be tuned so as to pin modules while
any socket to them is open, so that there will be no change.

>* you don't know how many users will using the genetlink bus. You'll
>  have to share the bandwidth with them.

That is rather a non-argument - you won't know many nfnetlink users
there will be either. But anyway, this would only apply to mcast
messages, and then only when you actually subscribed, does it not?