Re: ipset-6.9.1: 3.0.4 kernel tests failure

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Peter Volkov wrote:

> Hi. I've ran ipset-6.9.1 test suite on 3.0.4 kernel and it failed:
>
> bitmap:ip: Network: Create a set from a valid network with timeout:
> passed
> bitmap:ip: Network: Add lower boundary: FAILED
> Failed test: ../src/ipset 2>.foo.err add test 2.0.0.0 timeout 0
> ipset v6.9.1: Element is out of the range of the set
>
> Is this expected? ipset-6.8 has the same problem.

The testsuite always verifies the most recent ipset package (there is no
version-dependent tests). Unfortunately a lot of fixes were committed in
the 3.1 tree and are missing from the 3.0 tree :-(, so checking 3.0.x
with the testsuite surely fails.

> BTW, in general is it better to use in-kernel modules or kernel modules
> bundled with ipset? Personally I'd better pushed required patches into
> our kernels and suggested users to use them, but where it's better to
> pull such patches from?

Due to the different merge levels it takes some time when the patches
finally can land in the mainline kernel.

I always send the patches to netfilter-devel mailing list, so you can pull
them there. I can even add your address to the list of recipients if you
think it's better for you.

The ipset git tree can be used as well, however it's meant to carry the
ipset package with support from 2.6.35 up to the most recent kernels, so
the source code contains kernel version dependent parts. But that's the
only difference compared to the source code when it's submitted and merged
into the kernel.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-