Re: [NEW SOFTWARE] FIRO - Iptables optimization

On Thursday 2011-06-09 15:18, Tihomir Katic wrote:

>I developed some firewall optimizer for iptables optimization.
>
>FIRO is parsing output of iptables-save command and removes redundant
>rules from it. Rules in each chain and table are optimized separately.
>Optimization procedure continues until there are no more rules to
>remove or to modify. As a result, FIRO generates new file with new set
>of rules for every successful optimization procedure. Also, it logs
>all actions and changes in separated files.
>
>List of optimization procedures:
> -  Remove irrelevant rules
> -  Remove redundant "shadowed after" rules
> -  Remove redundant "shadowed before" rules
> -  Remove last rules with same action as chain
> -  Merge rules
> -  Remove redundant parameters from rules
> -  Remove redundant elements from parameters
> -  Reposition of "logging" rules in chain
>
>This is free software, 1st published version, and I would appreciate
>every download, every test, every reported bug, suggestion, etc.
>
>Link to FIRO:
>http://valeria.zesoi.fer.hr/~tkatic

Great idea. Consider
http://jengelh.medozas.de/documents/Perfect_Ruleset.pdf for more things
to do in rulesets.

Some of the suggestions are not a 1:1 conversion, such as replacing -s
127.0.0.0/8 by -i lo. In this case, a warning is the most one can do in
an automated fashion, and actually sufficient. -- in the spirit of
checkpatch.pl.

Inbetween, I have created a git repo with Makefiles. If I feel lucky,
I'll also fix the build in a minute.

	git://dev.medozas.de/firo