Re: Feature request: ip_set for non-modular kernel

Hi, Love the ip_set features - any chance that you might provide the
code (or possibly just instructions?) to build into the kernel in a
non-modular fashion? (for 2.6.38 and earlier)
I was able to successfully achieve just that with version 4.5 and kernel 2.6.35 (kernel compiled from source, of course). If you have ipset 4.5 there is a nifty script called patch_kernel in the kernel/ directory which does the donkey work for you - i.e. copying the necessary files to the kernel source directory and adjust the appropriate kernel Kbuild and Makefile(s).

What is left to be done by you then is to run "make oldconfig" (or amend the ipset kernel options manually, if you wish) and adjust the ipset kernel options so that all ipset files are included in the kernel, not as modules (in other words, set all ipset-related kernel options to "y" as oppose to "m").

In version 6 and above, the job is a tad more difficult as I am not sure you can build the ipset objects as part of the kernel - I have successfully built them as modules (as part of the kernel compilation), but have not tried to include them as part of the kernel itself - I am waiting for Jozsef to fix the bug I found in v6.3 and I will then upgrade all my systems to that version (I am still on 4.5 at present). Good luck!