Re: Performance issue due to constant "modprobes"

On Tuesday 2011-04-12 23:03, Ed W wrote:

>However, to be clear - my problem is with xtables.c / xtables_insmod().
>This function is called multiple times (in 1.4.10) even doing a simple
>"iptables -h" on a kernel where there are no modules.  I don't quite
>understand what *causes* that code to be called, my point is simply that
>it's called repeatedly (and needlessly) on each invocation of "iptables -h"

Then I suggest to grab backtraces with gdb.

>It may well be the case that it's the kernel which is running the code
>in xtables.c.

No no no. Not unless you run a hack like Kernel Mode Linux, which I
doubt you do. Or do you? I have no idea what grsec put into their
stuff, or whether you have an authentic unpatched iptables program.
It does not look standard at all.

>chroot:quad iptables-1.4.10 # iptables -h
>FATAL: Could not load
>/lib/modules/2.6.36.2-grsec2.2.1-vs2.3.0.36.38.4/modules.dep: No such
>file or directory
>[repeated 21 times]
>...snip normal iptables help text...
>
>> echo '#!/bin/sh' >/tmp/modp
>> echo 'echo "$@" >>/tmp/modp.log' >>/tmp/modp
>> echo /tmp/modp >/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
>> iptables-restore foo.txt
>
>OK, with the addition of an "chmod +x" I run the above and get
>(deliberately used non existent foo.txt):
>
>$ iptables-restore foo.txt
>Can't open foo.txt: No such file or directory

>$ cat /tmp/modp.log
>ip_tables -q
>-q -- ipt_SET
>-q -- ipt_SET
>-q -- ipt_set
>-q -- ipt_set

The trailing -q is a hint towards the call from iptables, whereas the
leading -q is kernel-invoked calls. Specifically, it seems that
xt_set is indeed not built-in, but a module.

>OK, I'm slightly unsure why there are fewer calls in that last time I
>did exactly this, but nonetheless we see a bunch of modprobe calls.
>strace also this code being called.

Please try with your real ruleset rather than foo.txt after clearing
modp.log.