Re: Xtables2 Netlink spec

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> Making an atomic snapshot/copy of the table. A userspace client
> >> could take almost indefinitely on retrieving a table, so it is
> >> possible that something else changes tables meanwhile.
> >
> >Why don't you lock the tables during dumping? That way the tables won't
> >change, whatever long time the dump takes. Snapshotting the table looks as
> >wasting memory and time.
>
> For that to work, I would have to use a locking primitive that can be
> held across returns to userspace, which leaves semaphores as the only
> option and, ya, I didn't quite feel like using _that_. Also sounds a
> bit like a killer if an admin cannot update a table just because he
> forgot some dumper process in the background in suspended state. :-/

There's already an internal mutex there (cb_mutex), to serialize dumping.
(It's unfortunate that cb_mutex cannot be accessed, for other purposes.)
And the kernel->userspace messaging is asynchronous, so I think suspended
dumping process won't hurt: the messages will wait it the queue, that's
all.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-