Re: [RFC] don't copy the whole table to all the other CPUs

Changli Gao wrote:
When reviewing the iptables code, I find there is one exact copy of
table on every possible CPU for parallel processing. However, only
counters are private, and the others are the same. It is a wast of
memory. I know the current implementation maybe good for NUMA, but I
don't think NUMA is common, and I doubt its benefit. I'll try to
convert the code use one shared table, but private counters.

Any comment?

Others have already commented on how the code is changing and whether or not what is done is necessary for good performance in the face of NUMA, but I wanted to point-out that NUMA is quite common. Just in the x86 space, virtually anything with two or more sockets sold starting with Nehalem-EP (?) is a NUMA system, and one can go farther back than that when one goes to Barcelona. Per-processor memory controllers and more than one processor implies NUMA.

rick jones